Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving


It is strange to be in a place where they don't celebrate Thanksgiving. We sort of forgot that it was coming because there was no paper turkey's in the windows, no plastic pilgrim centerpieces or bags of colorful gourds in the store. (they have all kinds of gourds and melons in the market but not packaged for fall decorative purposes)

But, boy I am thankful. Really, really thankful.

I mean we are here in Guatemala in maybe the most beautiful country in the world and we have been provided with everything that we could need and most of what we could want. Like today, I had Deacon by myself while Brandon was in school. I was in my sock feet and was holding Deacon as I walked from one room to the other on tile floors. I slipped and fell pretty hard, but the way I was holding Deacon, he was perfectly OK. I mean, he fussed because it scared him, but it could have been a disaster, but the Lord was with me, and kept Deacon from harm. Will God always keep him from harm? Most likely no, but today He did, and I am thankful.

We are actually going to have a full fledged international Thanksgiving Dinner with the inhabitants and guests of the guest house where we live. I am cooking the turkey (for the first time in my life, so I will let you know how it turns out) and the dressing (if we can find the ingredients at the market here) and I am so excited. We will have dutch food as well as the obvious Guatemalan food.

It is a little surreal, but we can't wait. I know this is probably tradition in all of your homes, but since we are not with the rest of our family I would like to do it here...let us know what you are thankful for. I want to hear how God has provided for you!

3 comments:

Ian said...

Hey - I just wanted to let you guys know I read both your blogs everyday, so keep posting :-)

I'm proud of y'all - keep up the good work.

Schweers' Mom said...

After over a year of unemployment, we are thankful for Craig being gainfully employed. We are also thankful for HEALTH INSURANCE that doesn't cost an arm and a leg!

Sounds like a very interesting Thanksgiving. I can't wait to hear the details.

Anonymous said...

We are so thankful for awesome friends like you and for our 2 precious children! :)
~The Morrises