Thursday, October 12, 2006

Faith?

Oh, my goodness. God is transforming my expectations of Him daily! I have been reading a book called The Autobiography of George Muller, (everyone should read it) and have been inspired to really LIVE by faith. He lived his entire life depending on only the Lord for provision, in order for God to receive total glory, he asked man for nothing.

All that to say, I have been struggling through this question: What promises does God make that I can claim in expectation? Basically, what can I have faith in? Well, in answer to prayer, the Lord took me to Hebrews 11:1. At this point, if you want to follow along more specifically with my thinking, you might grab your Bible!

Heb. 11:1 "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

This is really just a clarifying definition given in the context of the previous chapter. The motivation for continuing in the Christian walk is reward! The reward of receiving what he has promised in terms of eternity. The writer then gives you some examples in verses 3-12 (Abel, Noah, Abraham, etc).

Then, he gives clarification of the earlier definition in verses 13-16 where he says that these people died living by faith and that many of them did not even receive the things promised while still alive! What!! I mean, I have held onto the idea that I will receive...I don't know...I guess I just didn't think about living everyday by faith totally motivated by the realization of the promises of heavenly glorification, etc.

He then gives other examples of this faith in certain promises all the way through verse 35. Now some of these people did see promises fulfilled, but more did not. Actually, what they got on earth is "jeers, and flogging...chained and put in prison...stoned...sawed in two...put to death...destitue, persecuted and mistreated" (36-38)

Geez...so what is faith? What are the promises of God that I can claim in expectation? Well, ponder that and let me know what you think.

I do know this...Hebrews continues the discussion in Chapter 12 and tells me how to step out in faith as I seek these answers.

Too deep? Sorry!

No comments: