Friday, January 11, 2008
Oh, They are So Different!
The one on the top is Madeline, and the one on the bottom is Deacon. Now, in these pictures it is not as evident as in others, but these two babies look alike! I mean, she doesn't look like Deacon does now, but she looks like Deacon did when he was a couple of days old! It is strange. Deacon was 24% larger at birth than Madeline, and his head was MUCH larger, so that is a major difference, and Deacon was broad chested while Madeline isn't. They just look so much alike to me.
But they are nothing alike. I have been amazed at how different these two kids are, even in the 6 days that I've known Madeline. Let me list the differences that I have noticed so far:
1) Deacon was huge, Madeline is small
2) Deacon would only sleep and wake in 45 min. bursts, while Madeline sleeps 6 hours, is awake for 2....waking to eat of course.
3) Deacon would burp after eating, only to then projectile spit up. Every time he would eat, he would spit up copious amounts of milk large distances. Madeline hardly ever spits up, and when she does, it just sort of dribbles down her cheek.
4) at 2 days old, Deacon would stand up in you lap (his legs were ridiculously strong) and lift his head for short bursts. Madeline only picks her head up for milliseconds.
5) Deacon HATED being on his tummy. Madeline would sleep on her tummy if we let her.
6) Deacon was a spaz....he was constantly in motion unless he was swaddled. Madeline will just sit and stare without moving her limbs for minutes at a time
7) Deacon had to be swaddled...very tight....to sleep. Madeline gets upset if she's swaddled and wants her arms free.
8) Deacon was fussy...he had reflux and so cried and boy-hydee it was loud. Madeline hardly ever cries and is generally pretty quiet...as far as babies go that is.
9) Deacon had (has) very fat, thick feet, while Madeline has skinny, narrow feet.
It is really amazing. She was calmer in the womb, and she is calmer out. I am sure some of it is boy/girl stuff, and some is just personality.
I can't wait to get to know her better. I can't wait for all of you to get to know her. Praise God for individuality. It is interesting how much I had assumed about her based on my experience with Deacon. I never thought about what life would be like with a little, calm, easy baby girl. How fun! I'm going to go to sleep pretty soon. Madeline is in an awake time now. Thanks Brandon for entertaining our baby for a few minutes so I could sacrifice some sleep to blog a bit.