Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Being a mommy is cool.

Hey everyone! I'll just get started. I went to a baby shower but didn't have the time or the money to buy a gift. So...I made one. I used fabric scraps that I had here at the house, and I made this little receiving blanket quilt. It is not my favorite thing I have ever made, in that all the fabrics don't "go" together all that well, but they were all feminine and babyish. And it took me 2 hours one evening, and then 2 hours the next day to complete it, from cutting, piecing, sewing, pinning, and quilting. It went very fast.

I actually thought the bag (and card) was cuter than the quilt! I "made" the bag, in that I bought the yellow bag on sale for 50 cents and decorated it with twine, the letters of the baby's name, little tiny clothes pins, and a homemade baby card. (The "tissue" paper in the top is more fabric scraps)


The kids were being creative together and being so cute to boot!


I have since cut BabyM's bangs. They are less in her eyes, now.


BabyM wanted to use the paint brush, and BoyD wanted to use his fingers. Go figure.


I wanted to share some really cute BoyD sayings.
He was making play dough letters at the table this morning while I was making snack in the kitchen. Snack was deviled eggs, but he wanted them to be dinosaur eggs so I was coloring them green. And he says "Dinosaurs are extinct" "yes" I say, "they are." And he replies "are they extinct because they smell bad?"

Then he told me that he told his English teacher at school that snakes live in the wild west. We said "well, what did she say?" And he said "She didn't understand what I said. My English teacher doesn't speak English very well."

And then today, with his "cool" sunglasses on, lounging in a lawn chair in the sun, he told me: "look, mom. I'm in the wild west."

This afternoon, while reviewing some letters, we came across the letter "D." He has a hard time remember that letter, so I said "it is the first letter of your name..." well, so we started spelling his name in a little rhythmic tone "d-e-a-c-o-n" and he added in the same meter and rhythm "that spells the name of an Englishman" (like as in in fe-fi-fo-fum)

Oh, my, gosh. I don't know if reading this comes across even half as funny as it did hearing it in real life, but I laugh out loud even typing it. Maybe it is just because it is my kiddo.

BabyM's vocab has exploded. She now says "Look a me" if I am not giving her my full attention. She will also say "I don wan to" if I am asking her to do something undesirable to her. She will say "SKOOS ME!" if I am talking on the phone or something and she wants to talk to me. She'll say "i full" after meals, and the cutest of all, is when I tell her that I love her, she says "love me too"

She'll tell me "kime" before she climbs on something, and then while climbing says "i won fa" (as in, I won't fall)

Oh, I really do love my job.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

I love the quilt! Thanks for sharing pictures.

And the kid-isms...precious!! The Englishmen comment made me laugh out loud too. D's age is so much fun (so frustrating at times, but rewarding nonetheless). You just never know what's going to come out of their mouths. Their interpretation of the world is just funny. =)

haitimom said...

That quilt is beautiful. What a precious gift to receive. The gift bag is so cute too. You are just so very creative. I loved reading the things the kids are saying. All three of my grand children (soon to be four) are just so smart. I am looking forward to seeing them all in just two months.

Sarah said...

Oh Jenny- the quilt is adoreable!!!! The orange polka dot fabric made the quilt. A homemade and useful gift is so much better than a bought one anyday. I sure hope you can teach how to quilt because I would LOVE to learn. :)